Dare I say, there’s light at the end of the tunnel? It was a busy week in the guest house and bath with as many as eight guys working in parallel (not even counting me inspecting…two framers, two finish carpenters, two electricians and two plumbers at one point).

Most of the work was in the guest house. Padding the walls continued. They’ve also strapped the ceiling and framed the wall for the bath.

To mitigate a little spring in the floor upstairs, the guys replaced three 2×6 floor joists with beefy 4x6s making it feel much more solid.

In a minor misstep, we decided to replace the guest house’s seven windows which are now on order. The biggest bummer is having already paid for countless hours of Marcello’s team to paint the old ones. So it goes. An eighth window is already framed in the bath, to be cut in on the blank wall to the left of the back door.


Working around the carpenters, the electricians completed the rough wiring and the plumbers roughed in the plumbing for the bath and kitchen. So, we are ready for those inspections before the foam insulation can be blown in.

In the meantime, plumber Scotty has been installing the Mitsubishi heat pump system to heat and cool the space. It’s impractical to add a separate zone to the main house system and this modern technology seems to be a great solution though it may require some creative landscaping.

Still held up by back-ordered vanity and shower door, the master bath continues to shape up with water for the tub and a mirror and sconces in place. As well, in the closet, Darby installed the 8 drawers he and Ed fabricated last week which now want only for faceplates and pulls. Can’t wait to be fully taking advantage of our clothing storage.

On the decorating front, I had been starting to get anxious about the whereabouts of the late 19th century ship’s clock that had been a gift to very young me from my grandfather’s best friend, Morgie Dada, a longtime hotelier on the Cape. (I guess he was the oldest person I ever known. Born in 1875, we’d still see him every summer up to his death in 1973, just short of a century old.)

So I was relieved to excavate it from a packing box that had been stuffed in a bedroom closet. It now hangs next to the bar, dinging away on its eight bell cycle. Across the room is my reproduction ship’s mercury barometer. Hanging it was straight-forward, but in its moves, it had gotten air pockets in the mercury column which I was able to thwart only after an hour of nervous futzing.

I’ve also been turning attention to the yard and landscaping, the final frontier for LGH. One interesting, minor setback came Friday morning after a Thursday night tempest which brought about six inches of rain in just a few hours. I awoke to find an eight inch depression in the flower garden over the old well we’d discovered and filled in. It tipped over a couple blooming Cosmos (which I salvaged) and sunk a Shasta Daisy. Jimmy Aalto will examine and mitigate this week. I’m not to stressed as that sort of rain is extremely unusual.



2 thoughts on “Getting There

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s